Scotch thistle-Onopordum acanthium-facts:
- biennial with large green,spiny leaves covered with fine cotton like hairs
- also called cotton thistle because of the hairs
- the plant itself looks cool-grey-green-it illuminates in the environment-striking!
- native to Eurasia and has wide distribution
- grows to 2.4 m(8ft.) and can form a fence if allowed-bothersome in the pasture
- found in all the disturbed areas except for this one-I it spotted along an urban bicycle trail-it might of been planted
- this weed lets you know it is around!
- thanks to ucdavis.edu for help
- pics by td